Restylane® & Perlane® in Vancouver
The plump appearance of healthy skin is due to hyaluronic acid. Babies feel so nice because their skin is full of hyaluronic acid. As you age, levels of natural hyaluronic acid in the skin decrease with time, sun exposure and other environmental factors. In fact, one can define aging skin as the loss of hyaluronic acid.
The result? Lines, furrows and wrinkles. Dermal fillers such as Perlane® and Restylane® help our Vancouver patients correct wrinkles, improve lip definition, and address the signs of aging from the inside out. Restylane® is a hylauronic acid filler made in Sweden, and has been used throughout the world for over 10,000,000 treatments since 1996.
Request a consultation online to learn more about wrinkle and lip injections at Vancouver Laser & Skin Care Centre. You can also call 604-708-9891 to schedule a treatment appointment.
Benefits of Restylane® and Perlane®
These injectable fillers are ideal for adding volume to the lips or the face.
- Long history of safety and success
- No allergy testing necessary
- Natural, long lasting, but not permanent
- Restores volume and fullness instantly
- Smoothes wrinkles and folds
- Provides luscious lips
How Restylane® & Perlane® Work
All young smooth skin has one thing in common: hyaluronic acid. Found in all skin tissue and identical from species to species, this building block fills out the space between collagen and elastin fibers in the skin, holding in water and maintaining the skin’s volume. With age, levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin decrease and so we end up with furrows, wrinkles, and often thinner lips. By injecting hyaluronic acid into the skin, we can mimic the effects of natural hyaluronic acid and produce the look and feel of hydrated skin. By filling depressions in the skin, wrinkles and folds are considerably softened and/or eliminated. The elasticity, firmness, and plumpness of facial features is restored.
What to Expect
The hyaluronic acid is injected directly into the skin in tiny amounts using an ultra fine needle. We also offer local anaesthetic blocks for our patients to make the entire procedure painless. This is particularly effective for lip enhancement. Many patients have had painful experiences with lip injections due to inadequate local anaesthetic agents – there is no need to feel any pain. The procedure is convenient and results are instantaneous.
Each procedure is customized. Most patients choose to have a follow up treatment between four and six months after the initial treatment. As the gel breaks down, water takes its place. When totally absorbed, the gel disappears unnoticed from the body. Unfortunately, there are many poor lip injections being done which frighten virgin patients away – be assured that we will not overdo your lips!
How Do These Fillers Differ from Juvéderm™?
Restylane® and Perlane® are made in Sweden with a proprietary technology which results in a stiffer hylauronic acid than Juvéderm™. The hyaluronic acid fragments are cross-linked and cut into tiny fragments, and are unlikely to form any nodules or cause a skin reaction. Perlane® is cut into larger fragments than Restylane®, and is used to fill larger voids, to provide more “lift” to the tissue. Furthermore, if a patient does not like their “fill,” the Restylane® or Perlane® can be dissolved with a natural enzyme within hours – the skin would be restored to its former state as it appeared prior to the injection. Restylane®, Perlane®, Juvéderm™ Ultra, Juvéderm™ Ultra Plus, and Voluma are all excellent products with an incredible safety record with high patient satisfaction.
What Restylane® Products Do You Offer?
- Restylane® Fine Lines or Restylane® Touch is the least viscous of all the Restylane® family of products. It is a very fine hyaluronic acid filler used for fine lines which require very superficial injections.
- Restylane® is a medium viscosity hyaluronic filler used primarily for lip enhancement and deeper lines.
- Perlane® is a higher viscosity hyaluronic acid filler used for deeper folds on the face, like the nasolabial folds. It provides more “lift” than Restylane®. It is used to lift the cheeks and correct nasal defects (the 5 minute nose job!).
- Macrolane is most viscous and chunky of the Restylane® group of products. It is not yet approved for use in Canada. Macrolane is used in Europe for temporary breast augmentation, and to fill larger defects.
How to Minimize Bruising
Unfortunately, a small minority of patients will get a small bruise following a Juvéderm™ injection. We will use a tiny needle. Although every effort is undertaken to reduce the chance of bruising, it is possible to receive a bruise from an injection. Bruising can be covered with makeup. Please ask us about makeup suggestions.
By following these instructions, you will reduce the chance of bruising.
- Avoid aspirin (ASA) and vitamin E for 7 days prior to your appointment. ASA thins the blood. Vitamin E also can result in more bruising.
- Avoid ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and anti-inflammatory drugs (Aleve, naproxen) for 3 days prior to your appointment. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is fine and does not increase bruising.
- Avoid herbal medications like ginko biloba for 3 days prior to your appointment.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Eat 2 kiwi fruit per day for 2 days prior to your appointment. Kiwi fruit contains bromelain, which helps reduce bruising.
- We may provide you with pharmaceutical grade bromelain to reduce bruising. This herb should be started 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- If you are on blood thinners, or have any bruising problems, please notify the doctor prior to your treatment.
- Avoid scheduling filler injections immediately prior to important social engagements!
Restylane® and Perlane® – Before & After